Skip to main content

Embellished Needlebook

Before diving into the butterfly sampler, I made a needlebook. This gives me a way to organize all the various needles for the embellishment, but it also gave me a chance to try Sue Spargo's Creative Stitching and Creative Texturing techniques on a slightly smaller project. The circle design on the cover was modeled after one of Sue's circle samplers.

Front

I used a wool felt for the red book base, and then layered quilting cottons, ribbon and rick rack. The closure uses a pony-tail elastic band.

Circle 4 - Taffeta

Taffeta circle edged with beaded coral stitch using silk ribbon.

Circle 3 - Batik

Batik quilting cotton edged with rosette chain stitch using oriental linen thread.

Circle 2 - Shantung

Silk Shantung with chain stitch using Valdani Pearl Cotton #12.

Circle 1 - Wool

Wool fabric edged with bullion knots using DMC Pearl Cotton #5.

pages

The pages are craft felt. I printed the labels on printable fabric. There is a closing pocket in the front (with another ponytail elastic) and a non-closing pocket in the back cover.

I went ahead and chose fabrics and cut my butterflies... The background will be off-white.

Butterflies cut

Happy Knitting,
Lisa Kay

Previous Butterfly/Sue Spargo post, here.

Comments